Prince Harry has been denied permission to bring a second High Court challenge against the Home Office over his security arrangements when visiting the UK. The Duke had requested permission to challenge a decision stating that he was not allowed to pay for his protective security privately. Harry’s lawyers had requested a judicial review of the rejection of his offer to pay for protection in the UK after his security arrangements changed when he stopped being a “working royal”. However, a judge has ruled against such a hearing. Home Office lawyers had opposed the idea of allowing wealthy people to “buy” security from the police. Harry has already won the right to a full judicial review against the Home Office over the main decision to deny him protective security. His lawyers can also appeal Tuesday’s ruling.
Prince Harry’s ongoing legal battles
Harry is currently involved in an ongoing High Court trial against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) over allegations of unlawful information gathering. He is also waiting for rulings over whether similar cases against publishers Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) and News Group Newspapers (NGN) can go ahead. A judgment is also expected in the Duke’s libel claim against ANL – publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday – over an article on his case against the Home Office.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s near-catastrophic car chase
Exactly seven days after Harry and his wife Meghan Markle attended the Ms. Foundation for Women’s annual gala, they were involved in a near-catastrophic car chase. In a statement, a spokesperson said that they were “involved in a near catastrophic car chase at the hands of a ring of highly aggressive paparazzi.” The incident occurred after Meghan received a Woman of Vision award. Those involved in the chase broke multiple road rules, including running a red light, driving on the pavement, driving while on the phone, driving while photographing, and illegally blocking a moving vehicle. Law enforcement sources said that their vehicle circled the venue for about an hour in an unsuccessful effort to shake off the paparazzi. They then went to the New York police department’s 19th precinct police station, where they switched vehicles in another attempt to get away.
Conflicting accounts of the car chase
Conflicting accounts of what Harry and Meghan’s spokesperson described as a “near catastrophic car chase” resulting in “multiple near collisions” have emerged since the incident was made public on Wednesday. New York police said “numerous photographers” had made the couple’s journey from an awards ceremony on Tuesday evening “challenging”, but added there had been “no reported collisions, summonses, injuries, or arrests”. A taxi driver who briefly drove them suggested their spokesperson’s account was “exaggerated”, while some photographers involved have denied parts of it. Backgrid, the California-based entertainment picture agency who took the pictures, said on Thursday it had received a letter from the Sussexes’ legal team, demanding copies of all photos, videos, and/or films taken that night. The agency replied that “third parties cannot just demand [property] be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.”
Prince Harry has lost his bid to bring a second High Court challenge against the Home Office over his security arrangements when visiting the UK. While the decision does not necessarily mean the security battle is over, Harry’s lawyers can appeal Tuesday’s ruling. Harry is also involved in several ongoing legal battles, including a libel claim against ANL and a High Court trial against MGN. Meanwhile, conflicting accounts have emerged about Harry and Meghan’s near-catastrophic car chase, with some disputing their spokesperson’s account of the events.